Thursday, May 24, 2012

C25k: Day 1

Day 1 Monday

The entire day was a cooler day...supposed to be the coolest of the whole week.  I put some sweats on, with a couple layered shirts and an Under Armour fleece; laced up my tennis shoes and headed out.  iPhone in hand with headphones to keep me going as I listened to music.

Today's workout was a brisk 5 min warm up walk and then I was to jog for a minute and walk for a minute 30 seconds.  Sounds simple enough.  I live outside of the city limits so running on the roads around my home have always been an good choice.  I started down the drive way for my 5 minute warm up walk and thought "this isn't going to give me much of a workout but it's exercise so I guess I better stop complaining." Once  I got into the workout itself, my mindset changed almost dramatically.  The app has a "personal trainer" built in to tell you when to walk and when to jog so you don't have to worry about watching the clock.   Which I found nice because I could concentrate on the task at hand and not have to worry about it.  


Before I knew it I had already gone a little over a mile from home, and still had about 15 minutes left in the work out.  So I kept going  a little further from home before I turned around to make sure that I was out on the road for the whole 30 minutes of the workout. After about 5 more minutes, I turned around and headed for home.  By this point in the workout I was really starting to feel it in my legs but knew that I had to push through the pain or I would not get very far in this 9 week program.   I started back home, jogging and walking, jogging and walking and before I knew it my "personal trainer" was telling me to "walk briskly for 5 minutes" as my cool down walk.  I was more than a 5 minute walk from home but that was ok.  


When the 5 minute cool down walk was over, the app had tracked me to have gone 1.86 miles.  Which really was about 2 miles cause I wasn't home yet.  But I was paced at 14.07 min/mile.  I was kind of surprised by that.  Not because it was 14.07 minutes but because it was ONLY 14.07 minutes.  For someone who hasn't ran, at all, in about 4 years, I'd say that's pretty good for the first night out.    After all, I have to start somewhere, right?  I was pretty pleased with that and I actually felt good afterwards.  


Day 1 down.  SUCCESS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment